news/Business
February 19, 2026India
3 min Read

Burglary at KHADC office leaves members concerned

Source

SHILLONG, Feb 19: The Opposition in the Khasi Hills Autonomous District Council (KHADC) on Thursday expressed serious concern over a recent incident of burglary at the council's office. A little of Rs 2,000 was stolen during the break-in that occurred in the early morning of February 4. The issue was raised during the "before hour" discussion moved by Shella MDC Barikupar Synrem of the United Democratic Party on the second day of the council's budget session. Participating in the discussion, leader of Opposition Titosstarwell Chyne said that although burglary cannot always be prevented, the incident should serve as a wake-up call for the council to strengthen its security arrangements. He stressed the need to tighten security measures and suggested that the state government be approached for deployment of Home Guards personnel to safeguard the council premises. Chyne recommended installing CCTV cameras outside the office complex, noting that existing cameras are installed inside the building. Further, he advised that officials handling cash-related departments should avoid keeping cash in the office. Chyne said the incident has put the council in a negative light. This is said to be the first such burglary inside the council office. Stating that the Executive Committee (EC) has already lodged an FIR, he sought details on the progress of the investigation. He said the possibility of insider involvement cannot be ruled out. Chief Executive Member Winston Tony Lyngdoh said the council is yet to receive an updated report from the police on the investigation. "I totally agree with the suggestion that cash should not be kept inside the office. Instructions will be issued to senior officers and staff in this regard," Lyngdoh said. He said 32 CCTV cameras are installed inside the office and that footage from three cameras capturing the burglary has been handed over to the police. The EC will examine the need for installing additional cameras within the premises and further strengthening security measures. Lyngdoh also stated that seven chowkidars guard the council office in two shifts. They have been questioned, but so far there are no indications of lapses on their part. According to CCTV analysis, the burglary was carried out by an individual who entered through a skylight around 6 am and forced open several almirahs. The stolen cash reportedly belonged to departments dealing with stamp registration. The break-in was discovered around 11 am when staff arrived and found files scattered and drawers forced open. Officials said a sweater, believed to have been left behind by the suspect, was recovered during a site inspection. Although the guards reportedly did not hear the break-in, they told the police that they had noticed and chased away suspicious individuals moving around the premises later that morning.